Lamar University assists Apple and other local education entities such as Houston Community College and Austin Community College in creating and facilitating the Apple Lamar HCC Cohort. This Cohort focus on building educator capacity to code and teach Swift.
The Apple Lamar HCC Cohort provides:
- Familiarity with Apple devices (iPad, MacBook)
- Familiarity with Apple MacOS and iOS software (iWork, iLife, iBooks, Clips, and others)
- Familiarity with media creation and editing using photos, videos, and audio.
- Understanding of Accessibility features and methods.
- Deep dive into Everyone Can Create and Everyone Can Code curriculum.
- Hands-on activities with Swift Playgrounds, Sphero SPRK+, and other coding resources
- Planning for Student Coding Camps, Coding Clubs, Student App Showcases,
- Participation in Design Thinking, Prototyping, and UI/UX design
Led by mentor teachers, level-appropriate, hands-on learning experiences are provided to participating teachers in elementary, middle, and high school cohorts. Participants are also provided with materials, coaching, and planning time to design Student projects that will be delivered in their districts throughout the academic year to solidify their new skills where they:
- Provide instruction to students on operation of Apple devices (iPad, MacBook)
- Provide instruction to students on operation of Apple MacOS and iOS software (iWork, iLife, iBooks, Clips, and others)
- Deliver select lessons to students from the Everyone Can Create and Everyone Can Code curriculum.
- Lead hands-on activities with students in Swift Playgrounds, with Sphero SPRK+, and other coding resources.
- Lead students through a Community Challenge activity which utilizes Design Thinking, Prototyping, and UI/UX design.
Each of the following links will take you through the progression of our project: